Saturday, August 14, 2010

When is a story too short???



So, here is something that has been on my mind for a few weeks...

When is a story too short? As a writer how much storyline is needed?

I can admit to writing shorter stories when I first started out than I do now. I’ve come to realize it was because I was uncertain on what was expected in the publishing world more than lack of something to say.

A problem I have started to see more and more is that good authors are writing shorter books and leaving behind too many questions. It’s gotten to a point where I don’t want to buy anything under 20k words in fear of being let down.

I know that is not fair to author who write short stories that are great but really until you buy and read the book there is just no way of knowing if you are going to love or hate it.

I love erotica! Come on, why would I write it if I didn’t love it. But I really don’t want to see a book that has 5 chapters, four being pure sex scenes, and 1 chapter of plot. I want my questions answered. I want to fall in love with the character. I want to know more!

Short stories can be a good relaxing read when you just want to unwind. Sometimes you don’t want a deep plot were you have to follow the story line carefully. But when the book leaves a bitter taste in your mouth, what do you do?

So I’ve gone back through my online library to re-introduce myself to some short that I loved. It has brought back the feeling that short stories can be just as good.

What do you think? Are you being let down with the short stories being released?

Have a favorite short story that you think others would like?

Or are you a novella/ novel kind of reader?

Just kind of one of those thing I was curious about...


Crissy Smith

http://www.crissysmith.net

No comments: