Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blog Series- Press send Part 4



Blog series- Press Send Part 4

Two more weeks of the blog series and I appreciate all who have joined me. This week is all about what happens when a book comes out.
So you finally submitted your lives work. Received a contract. Did hours (if not days) worth of edits. And finally your book is released!

Now what?

Well let me tell you- just because your book is released does not mean you will immediately have a following.

It wasn’t until I released the first book in The Were Chronicles Pack Alpha did I understand this. But that’s getting ahead of myself.

So listen closely darlings here is the new key word- PROMOTION.

I read somewhere that a reader has to see a book ten times before they buy it. So what does that mean? It doesn’t matter just how great your book is- if no one buys it.

I had two books released before Pack Alpha. My first book was part of the Halloween Special Project Bite Me called Savage Love. My second book was a short story called Seduced by the Neighbour. And while both book sold some copies it was nothing compared to when The Were Chronicles started and Pack Alpha was released.

I have sold more copies of my first two books when readers go back to find more of my books then when they were released.

The second book in The Were Chronicles sold even more.

But here is the funny thing. When I was getting ready to have Pack Alpha released I did more promo than I thought possible.

I did everything imaginable. I started my yahoo group (which is still my favorite promo site. And the one I visit daily.) I did guest blogs, joined all the social networks. Joined chats. I was all over the place. And it paid off.

I finally felt like I arrived!

And with nine books released in 2009 the promo just got busier and busier. Now as you know I still work full time. I have a husband, eleven year old daughter, and three labs. I’m a busy girl. I have to be a little pickier with my time.
Because let’s face it. I still have to write.

So I have to pick my favorites right? My first stop is the yahoo groups. I like to be able to connect with the readers. I like that we can discuss certain topics or the books. What they like, what they would like to see, what they hope for. Instead of just posting about a book to receive a little feedback is always good.

Then of course I try to keep up with other sites although not as often. I have two myspace pages, a facebook, and twitter, good reads and my blog.
Knowing I should do what I always like as a reader I have decided this year to do more on my blog. Why? Well because I like it. And hey, that’s pretty cool.

In February on my blog I revamped my page and started reworking it. So far I am super happy about it. I started Feb with this blog series. In March I already have guest authors lined up to blog on Wednesday’s. I am glad to be able to introduce my readers to authors I like.

I also started Book Review Monday and so far three weeks have been posted. This is one of my favorite parts about the new blog.

In the name of research (LOL! God I love that!) I read throughout the week. Usually two to three ebooks then whatever books I am reading with my daughter at night. I like sharing my thoughts on books. It hard sometimes to find books out there that you can purchase and know you will like. Because come on, money is tight and we don’t want to waste it.

A lot of authors I found complain about promo. I guess I’m just not there yet. I enjoy it. I love chats and talking back and forth with readers and other authors.

And I love giving away books- There is no better feeling when someone wins your book and goes on to Thank you. With so many good books out there it gives people the chance to view your work.

So remember just because your book is published does not mean it will jump in sales. You need to connect with people. If you are genuine to your readers I think you will find long term people who will stick with you through your career.

Besides it’s just fun!

Next week we will wrap up with my books. Oh and I remember the book that has been rejected like a million times? Well find out about that too!

Blog series contest is still running! Every comment will be entered to win a free book from my back-list. The winner will be announced the Saturday after the last post!
Crissy

6 comments:

Mary D said...

Great Blog Crissy. I was one of those readers who went back for your older titles after reading Pack Alpha. I love finding new authors who I love so much they become auto buys. You are in that category for me.

Keep up the great books!

Maria said...

Fantastic post. I think alot more authors don't understand promotion of their books. I'm one of the strange book buyers, I don't need to look at a book 10 times, maybe I look at a book 3 times max. Usually if the cover is good and the blurb on the back is half decent...I buy the book. Nothing annoys me more though than an established author who thinks that they no longer have to promote their books...guess what ...they do too.

hotcha12 said...

WELL SUMMER'S GIRL LOOKS HOT CRISSY, DAMN I WANNA READ IT.
PACK ALPHA WAS AWESOME YALL!

hotcha12 said...

hi mary!!

Crissy said...

Hi Mary,

You made my days, Thanks!

Hey Maria,

I agree with you. I have an author who is on my fav list. I never get any updated info from the website or anything. The books are just released, so I can't plan for them. Drives me crazy!!!

Hotcha-

Glad you got to read pack alpha! So happy you enjoyed it!

Crissy

Unknown said...

I'm working hard at promo but know there's more to do. I blog a lot and am active on Twitter.

I like your blog and am goinmg back to read more of your articles.

As for me, the blurb has to intrigue me for a book before I buy. I don't normally buy a book just because I've seen the author's name a lot.